Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Army Captain Shane Mahaffee

Photo from the Daily Herald.

This past weekend R and I embarked upon a new mission. Usually our missions are based on cookies, laughter and smiles. Care packages, letter writing, and cookie drops. Letting our Armed Forces know we care and appreciate there diligence and sacrifice. Whether or not people realize it. They are serving our beautifull country. Let’s thank them!!!


This was her second mission, my first. I had joined Patriot Guard Riders a while ago. When I decided on going to this one, a gracious PGR member gave me some tips;


* Drive carefully because your mind will be elsewhere.
* Don’t be afraid to cry. Don’t be afraid to get emotional, you will.


"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness.” Timothy 2

Once again, a complete stranger alters my life. It seems to have become the theme of my daily life. I meet so many people without physically shaking there hands. Without meeting in the same room, they indelibly touch my life. Our SPC, adopteds, and “people I should know.”

After driving an hour. {It was supposed to take me 30 minutes to get to the church.} I finally pulled into the parking lot through the back-way because I had missed the first turn. I saw the motorcycles parked. Feeling greatfull I headed for them. As I turned the corner I saw the police lights. The hearse was pulling into the church parking lot heading my way. I pulled my car aside. As it drove past I thought, “this is real.” He is really in there. Why I thought that I cannot say. My eyes teared up, softly I said; “welcome home.”

People are so considerate. I walked up to the PGR, asked for Scoot. What a sweetheart!!! I think there is too much hype about PGR being bikers. Bikers are people too. I have met many in my life that are kinder and gentler then some circuit court judge, or some movie star. They have a loyalty and dignity about them at times that can rival any other group.

There was a part of me, possibly any person that wonders if I/they should be there. Should I go to this wake and funeral? I would never want to intrude on this family’s grief. Never want to infringe on this time for them to say goodbye to there loved one. Yet the Patriot Guard, makes it all-right. All-right? Makes it possible to do this in a respectfull manner.I have always wanted to do this. Reads wrong I know. But I always wanted to be there and let these families know I care their loved one made the ultimate sacrifice so that I could be safe. For our beautifull and glorious country. For our children to have a better world. I see the implications and the benefits of our Armed Forces endeavers overseas. I was one of those that only saw the negative side of this war. Now I am an Armed Forces supporter. Military families are the backbone of our military. I admire them and see them as heroes as well. Keeping the home fires burning, while there loved ones are away long periods of time. God Bless them!!

Being respectfull to this family is the Patriot Guard Riders way. I was touched at the lengths they go to accomplish this. Don’t talk to the families, don’t approach them. We stand silently or talking quietly. Holding the flag. Each one in his or her own thoughts. I thought a lot about my guys and girls overseas.

Matthew and his letter about the 16 mile jog his platoon went on through the desert terrain. If there are sheep in an area, then that’s a sign there probably aren’t IED’s.

The Lt whose wife is having a baby in august, and how he is hoping to be there for the birth of His first child. They patrol baghdad everyday and yes it’s a green zone? But still a hotbed for terrorists.The sacrifices our Armed Forces make. There endurance in any given situation.

My adopted soldier, in our first phone conversation last december told me it’s the Soldiers; Army Captain Shane Mahaffee that is the true Hero.

I thought about this Soldier. His willingness to go directly into harms way. He was a Lawyer. Could have stayed home.

Quote from Daily Herald written by Tony Gordon;"Shipped to Fort Jackson, S.C., to begin training, Mahaffee became friends with a group of 11 other officers with similar assignments who nicknamed themselves "The Dirty Dozen."

One of that group, Capt. Matt Lawton of Washington, D.C., served in the same unit in Iraq with Mahaffee, and was in the convoy with him when Mahaffee was wounded.

Mahaffee was in the first vehicle of the convoy when it was struck by a roadside bomb.
"Even after he was wounded, he attempted to walk out of the vehicle and he had raised his weapon against the enemy," Lawton said. "He was talking about setting up a security perimeter when one of the enlisted men had to tell him to lie down so he could treat him."

Mahaffee was awarded the Combat Infantry Badge and the Bronze Star and Purple Heart medals for his service in Iraq, which lasted just 25 days."End quote

I also said the rosary, our father. Thought about my family and how much I love them. Sometimes didn’t think at all, just looked out on the horizon. Glancing at the guys that were military to see how they stood. These guys know the best way to stand, because some of them do it often, or have done it often. One military man had just returned from Afghanistan on Thursday. Made the drive down to participate in this. That is awesome!!! I was honored to stand by him. Truly it is an honor to stand by each of these patriotic and caring individuals!!!


PGR is invited by the family to attend. When Captain Shane Mahaffee’s parents walked down the line shaking each of our hands. I became teary eyed. It is touching that they would. My heart went out to them. How gracious of them to take the time to thank me, and I thanked them. For allowing me to be there. For there sacrifice. God Bless them and Shane!!!


People stopped and thanked us. Many just nodded. The flags never wavering. Never touching the ground. What a majestic sight it is from the distance!!! The flag. She? Is a winsome one, at times difficult to manage. She waves at her own accord. Yet she will always wave. When our country falters, when people doubt, no matter what the flag will continue on...

Just like our Armed Forces. These brave men and woman, willing to make the ultimate sacrifice in service to our beautifull, glorious country!

God Bless Captain Shane Mahaffee and His family!!!

This is just the first installment of this sorrowfull and heart touching experience. I find each day, I am still thinking about it. Looking at the pictures. My eyes well up and I am greatfull to have been able to be there. I can’t get back to where I was before this began. Perhaps that is for the best.

God Bless~~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home