Thursday, June 08, 2006

Table In The Presence

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
Psalm 23:5

"A dramatic account of how a U.S Marine Battalion experienced Gods Presence amidst the chaos of the War in Iraq." Quote from the cover of Table In The Presence. Copyrite 2004. Written by Lt Carey H. Cash.

Last Easter Vigil I was confirmed. A new member to the Catholic Church. It was a huge step for me. Going from Celtic Pagan beliefs, to Buddhism, to Christianity, to Christian Catholicism. Over ten years of study. It has not always been easy. Nor as simple as it should be. I don't doubt that I have done the right thing. Like many Christians though, I wonder if God Loves me. Or if God can forgive me. For my sins. For my failures. Is God with me? I have alot of fear at times. Fighting negative things I learned growing up. Struggling with worthiness. When something goes wrong, I feel it's that old "curse." Or payback for some terrible thing I did.

I was wandering around the library thinking I should get a book. Not really wanting one because I have alot of books collecting dust. Yet, since it's Memorial Day weekend. I thought I should get at least one book about the military. To be quite honest I focussed on the Marines. Searching through the available books, this one caught my eye. I like to read personal stories. Lt Carey H Cash is a Chaplain in the Navy. He was with the Marine 1st Battalion, 5th Regiment as they crossed the border of Kuwait into Iraq.

The beginning of; Operation Iraq Freedom.
"Brought to us by the United States Marines!!"

Is God in Iraq? Well, I always thought God is all over because He created this world. Plus, it's a place of alot of misery and pain. When Saddam was in power. So of course God would be there. Yet I never really thought in line with this book. Prepare? God prepares for us? God is previous. He knows long before we do. God prepares and stays with us. No matter which path we choose.

I took my car to the mechanic on sunday. So I brought the book along. Thinking the repairs may take a while. Nervous and worried I was about the cost. Bottomline; my bank account could be busted wide open. I need to pay rent, buy food, then there's my guys and gals. In the back of my mind I knew I could call my sister and ask for a loan. But still. The fear stayed with me the 2 hours it took before they even looked at the car......

He rescued me from my powerfull enemy,
from my foes, who were too strong for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster,
but the LORD is my support.
You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning;
my God turns my darkness into light.
With your help I can advance against a troop;
with my God I can scale a wall.
As for God, his way is perfect;
the world of the Lord is flawless.
He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.
Psalm 18:17-18, 28-30 NIV

Sometimes the only enemy we have is fear. I pray Psalm 91 for the troops. Also as I went through the illness, I began to take on the concept of His being my shield. All my life I have felt shieldless. No-one walked with me. It is an inward battle to be able to rely and accept.

My child and I have learned alot from the Troops we have written too. So much about courage and sacrifice. Accepting what we have rather then feeling we have nothing. Some may call me a failure. Because I am not rich and often live from paycheck to paycheck. The point is though, to be comfortable where we are and with what we have. For some it is a learned thing. Inspired by our Soldiers. Especially for a teen!! I will never forget her face as we read a letter about our soldier not having water. Washing his clothes in a cooler. Or how he wanted to go to college. Our prayers that he would come home to go. Things we take for granted. They wait for, or live without. Even driving my car where I want to go, when I want to go there, is something they can't do. But to them the sacrifice is worth it. There is something far greater going on here.

At some point during this war I began to see; Yes there is something greater at work there. Just as there is here.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and lean not upon your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path.
Proverbs 3:5-6

I never realised the numerous writings in the bible about war. The battles the Israelites went through. Yet in some ways life is about wars. Battles. Inward and outerward. Battles for morals and boundaries, battles for self-esteem. The fight for life not death. Spiritual death rather then physical. Yet I digress....

Sitting there afraid my world was going to be ripped apart financially, this book calmed me. Selfish this reads I know. Does God care if I have a working car? Well of course! How else will I make the money to feed and cloth my child. Or send the things I love to send to my Troops. I don't mean to belittle what these Marines went through or still go through. Yet in the midst of our deepest, darkest nights we are supposed to seek the light and take cover. No matter what happens large or small.

I was in tears, as I read about marines being baptised in the dessert. I know when I was confirmed it was one of the highlights of my life. The fears these marines live with aren't similar to mine. Alot more intense and serious they are. But fear is fear. They overcome there's to do what must be done. Lean on the Lord as friends are losing there lives or limbs. Why can't I? Faith. A deep and abiding faith in Christ that it will be allright, it will work out.

They are facing life and death circumstances while I face this. It humbles me. Makes me greatfull. Somehow something inside of me moved, and I felt and incredible foundation being built. From which to move forward. A solid base. Books have an incredible power to move people. Too inspire. The people in this book inspire me to move forward with a semblance of confidence.

This book, not only reinforced my faith. But it also gave me a stronger basis for it.
Another aspect; The beginning of this war is something I think people may need to go back too. As some flounder back and forth. The reason for it hasn't changed. If you wonder what the troops were thinking as this began, here are some answers. If you wonder how they persevere. Here are some incredible answers. Interspersed are some awesome miracle stories. Things that happened that can't be explained. Unless we realise, there are real Angels sent by God to watch over us. That Michael the Archangel is not a myth. That Christ really does walk. There, here, everywhere.

If we can just accept Him.

Plus it gave me some more prayers for The Troops. I never thought to pray that the enemy would become confused. Drop there arms. I believe prayer has power. Also now I have thought to pray that Muslims see Mohammed.{PBUH} Maybe he can straighten out their fanatics. Remind them of the compassion and caring He spoke of. As we have Christ they have Him. Peace be upon Him.

I would recommend this book to any seeker. People that aren't Christian. People that want to understand a bit more about our troops. The "loyalty" of the Marines. Or want to revisit the beginning of this war. Not the politics, but those that waited for the command.

As time goes by I am going to post excerpts from this book. It is an awesome read. I finished it by Monday morning!!!

God Bless our Armed Forces!!

Ps; Update, over 500$ spent on the car. It is taken care of though. I have an opportunity to catch up!!

Psalm 23;
The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home